From Oct. 29 to Nov. 4, the Lakeville Fire Department responded to 16 calls for service including 1 brush-and-grass mixture fire, 1 rescue, 1 extrication, 1 medical, 1 gas leak, 5 good intents and 6 false alarms.
If you absolutely must use a turkey fryer, here are some safety tips:
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other material that can burn.
- Never use turkey fryers on wooden decks or in garages.
- Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you don't watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
- Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water don't mix, and water causes oil to spill over, causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
- Only deep fry smaller turkeys - up to 12 pounds.